William Francis Lewis
M, b. 14 February 1897
|Father||Francis Alfred Lewis b. 8 Mar 1870, d. 10 Apr 1939|
|Mother||Jane Carter b. 2 May 1867, d. 27 Feb 1953|
|Birth*||William Francis Lewis was born on 14 February 1897 at Rock House Cottage, Bath, Somerset, England. Francis Alfred Lewis was listed as the informant on the birth certiifcate.1,2,3|
|Baptism||William Francis Lewis was baptized on 28 March 1897 at St. Stephen's, Lansdown Parish Church, Bath, Somerset, England.4|
|(Son) Census||He appeared on the census of 1901 as the son of Francis Alfred Lewis at Rock House Stables, Bath, Somerset, England.2|
|Occupation*||William Francis Lewis was an apprentice hairdresser in 1911 at Bath, Somerset, England.3|
|(Son) Census||He appeared on the census of 1911 as the son of Francis Alfred Lewis at 3 Beaufort Place, Bath, Somerset, England.3|
|Milit-Beg*||William Francis Lewis (service no. 4311) enlisted in the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) on 24 March 1915 as an Air Mechamic 2nd Class. He was promoted to Air Mechanic 1st Class on 01 Sep 1916, to Corporal on 01 Feb 1917 and to Sergeant on 16 Aug 1917.5|
|Milit-Serv*||He served in the Royal Flying Corps starting on 6 December 1915 at India. No record was located to determine the period of deployment in India.5|
|Milit-Xfr*||He was transferred on 1 April 1918when the Royal Flying Corps (Army) and the Royal Naval Air Service merged to form the Royal Air Force (RAF). His new rank was Sergeant Mechanic and he was paid 6 shillings per day.5,6|
|Milit-End*||He was discharged from the Royal Air Force on 23 March 1923 having served 8 years with 4 years and 359 days spent in active service. Through his service, he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, the 1914-1915 Star, the British War Medal and the Allied Victory Medal.5|
|Last Edited||15 Aug 2023|
- [S2779] England, birth certificate for William Francis Lewis, born 14 Feb 1897; citing 05C/580/50, Bath registration district and Walcot subdistrict; General Registry Office, Southport.
- [S3319] 1901 census of England, Somerset, Bath, Walcot, p. 18, Francis A Lewis household; digital image, Findmypast (http://www.findmypast.co.uk : accessed 20 May 2023); citing Class: RG13; Piece: 2343; Folio: 178; Page: 18.
- [S3320] 1911 census of England, Somerset, Bath, Walcot, Francis Lewis household; digital image, Findmypast (http://www.findmypast.co.uk : accessed 21 May 2023); citing RG14 PN14712 RD316 SD4 ED10 SN195, 1911 Census Returns of England and Wales, The National Archives of England, Kew.
- [S3317] St. Stephen's Lansdown Parish (Bath), "Register of Baptisms [1880 - 1913]," p. 50, entry no. 400, William Francis Lewis, 28 Mar 1897; imaged, "Somerset, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1914," database and images, Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/… : accessed 20 May 2023), image 28 of 53; citing D/P/ba.st/2/1/1 held by the Somerset Archives & Local Studies.
- [S3321] Air Ministry, "Airmen's Records," unpaginated, service no. 4311, William Francis Lewis, enlisted 24 Mar 1915, relegated to reserves 6 Jun 1921 and discharged 23 Jun 1923; imaged, "British Royal Air Force, Airmen's Service Records 1912-1939," database and images, FindMyPast (https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM/AIR79/289859 : accessed 21 May 2023), images 1-2 of 2; citing AIR 79/56/4311 held by the National Archives of the UK.
- [S3322] Ministry of Defence and predecessors: Air Publications and Reports, "RAF Muster Roll, 1 April 1918," p. 23, Air Force No. 4,311, W. F. Lewis; imaged, "UK, WWI, Royal Air Force Muster Roll, 1918," database and images, Fold3 (https://www.fold3.com/image/537881742 : accessed 21 May 2023), image 41; citing AIR 10/237 held by the National Archives of the UK.